Thursday, August 4, 2011

28 candles

I'm officially old.  28 has been "that" year for me, so I've spent the last month or so torn between dreading the big day and looking forward to it.  I'm a birthday brat.  I can admit that I love there's a day where it gets to be all about me.  And I unapologetically make sure August 3rd is all about me.  But this year, I was really concerned that the "oldness" would overshadow the "specialness," and so would begin the years of dreaded birthdays.  I am very happy to report that this year could have been my best birthday to date.  I did exactly what I wanted to do and had a day filled with great news, great people and great food. 
     
I love the phrase, "happiness is a warm puppy."  It has always held true for me (with the exception of that one time I was studying for finals and my warm puppy decided to take a warm dump under my bed.  That was the antithesis of happiness).  My warm puppy has been a constant source of happiness and the tear-absorber during the toughest times, so the adoption of my new mantra in no way displaces the brown dog and his unconditional love.  But recently, I've found myself drawn to the phrase, "happiness is knowing you're right where you're supposed to be." 

At the risk of sounding too "new-agey" (thanks, Aunt Shelley), the contentment that comes from an honest assessment of the present and the bumper sticker conclusion that life is good is like no other.  It's been a really great year.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment