Sunday, January 1, 2012

other people's wisdom

Recently, I've been hearing the same message a number of different ways - that it's really important to spend time learning from other people's experiences.  This means committing some serious time to reading business books and blogs.

Before I do that though, I need to admit that this isn't really appealing to me.  I love to read, but admittedly, my literary choices range from smart fiction to trashy magazines.  By way of example, I'm currently enjoying the second book in the Twlight series, and I apologize for nothing.  In a way, I blame law school for this (shocker, I know).  But, I feel as though I reached my lifetime "educational reading" quota somewhere around the middle of second year.  Since then, it's been very difficult for me to spend "free time" reading anything that isn't mindless.  I'd like to change that this year. 

A couple of my close colleagues and I continually remind each other that by experiencing the ups and downs and goods and bads of working at a start-up, we're getting our MBAs - one lesson at a time.  It's such a phenomenal opportunity that I would be crazy to not maximize the experience.  I need to think of business books and blogs as my course materials and start taking them very seriously. 

This guy's blog is a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment