Wednesday, February 8, 2012

robots and spam

After my most recent post, I woke up the next morning to an email notification letting me know that someone had posted a comment to my blog.  For the first time ever, the commenter wasn't my mom, best friend, aunt, dogsitter or law school classmate. It was someone I didn't even know.  A complete stranger had posted to my blog.  As I lay in bed reading my email notification (yes, I can admit it, I check my email immediately after my alarm goes off), it hit me:  I was big time nowTotally blogospherely legit.  My blog was out there in cyberspace, and random people were reading it. And they were commenting. You have got to be kidding me.  This "viral" thing really DOES happen on its own, doesn't it?  As I patted myself on the back for my literary popularity, I clicked to my blog and read the comment:

Criminal lawyer make good support on client need and make that free from legal harassments. That has the best law situation which make it excellence.  Best Criminal Lawyers in Toronto. -posted by robertducket

Hmm.  That's weird.  Ok, so maybe I was attracting illiterate fans.  A fan is a fan though, right?  Wrong.  Not when the fan is a robot.  Robertducket was a robot.  So was Marry Lee, who posted shortly after robertducket and told me: The article is worth while reading, I like it very much and which you shared the info in this post is very useful. Thanks for sharing a wonderful post.  

It took a consult with our social media strategist for me to quickly learn the purpose of those "enter the numbers and letters you see below" boxes.  It's to fight off robots, and clearly, I had been infiltrated.

I'm still oddly flattered by the fact that the robots chose me.  There has to be some sort of code that assesses which blogs are read frequently enough to be worth spamming... right?  That's what I'm telling myself anyway. 

My robot attack is definitely a good step in the viral direction. 

8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how blogger has its settings, but wordpress allows you to moderate comments and thus avoid spamming robots. It is one reason I switched over. Keep up the great writing, Nicki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's gotta be a pony in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wurman bankruptcy attorneys provide exceptional, cost effective legal representation, helping clients make informed decisions. As both educators and advisors, Wurman bankruptcy lawyers guide clients to positive outcomes. bankruptcy Suffolk County, NY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its good to see such nice blog and comments as well. Criminal defense is a business, like any other type of practice. Your client base will be completely different. Take money up front, keep it in your trust account and pay yourself afterwards – you’ll never worry about chasing down a fee again. Doing so also lets you focus only on the clients who have paid you and not ten deadbeats who expect something for nothing.
    Be prepared to cope with some of the worst human behavior imaginable. You will get great cocktail party stories for sure, but you will also see, hear and experience things that will haunt you for years.

    Good luck.
    Insurance Bad Faith Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work forces out your followers for blog commenting.
    new york city dui attorney

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the way it goes now. The internet is so competitive and robots are a way of saving money for some companies. I do like this post and hope you don't continue to be hit by spam. ss disability medford

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete