Friday, September 17, 2010

check baby check baby one two...

I love this article by Jennifer Weiner: http://www.jenniferweiner.com/forwriters.htm

I have to admit, I actually love this article more than I loved Jennifer's debut novel, Good In Bed (Sorry Jennifer...).  Anyway, in her article, Jennifer balances what I perceive to be the realism of writing a book with its euphoria.  I'm encouraged that she seems to say the euphoria endures despite the frustrating realism.


I walked through those things that Jennifer believes make someone a good novelist.  I'm left with mixed emotions.

1.  The Unhappy Childhood
Certainly no check mark here.  I had a happy childhood in Suburbia, Wisconsin, save for a couple humiliating elementary school experiences... such as, puking during the Christmas pageant, while wearing a sheep's costume (complete with fuzzy sheep's head) or nicknaming myself (yes you read that correctly) "Nicole Bowl" in the second grade because I couldn't think of anything better that rhymed with "Nicole."


2.  The Miserable Love Life
The extra large check mark that belongs here makes up for the lack of check mark under number 1.  Think Ross and Rachel ("WE WERE ON A BREAK!!") meets Brad Pitt/Jennifer Aniston/Angelina Jolie.

Yes, I am blatantly comparing myself to Jennifer AnistonSo?


3.  Major in Liberal Arts (not necessarily creative writing)
Hmm... I think International Studies counts here, right?  Jennifer mentioned poli sci, and I took a bunch of poli sci, so I'm saying it counts.  Check. Mark.


4.  Get a Job (not an MFA)
Is it a problem that I don't know what MFA stands for?  I suppose if I don't know whether I have an "MFA" job, then I probably don't.  Although some days, my job can certainly be described as M-F-A, and A does not stand for "Awesome."


5.  Write to Please Yourself
...as opposed to pleasing my boss?  my professor?  the court?  Pretty sure I can handle this one.  In writing for myself, there is no such thing as citations.  In fact, using someone else's ideas is generally frowned upon, while "making it up as you go along" is highly encouraged.  Thank you, God.


6.  Get a Dog
Check.  After a particularly excruciating breakup (see number 2 above), I got a puppy.  It was certainly a transparent and somewhat pathetic gesture, and I will spare you that "I had been planning on getting one WAYYYY before I got dumped at that Mexican restaurant and left with the tab."  Seriously.


So, yes Jennifer, I have heartbreak and a dog.  And actually I have a dog because of the heartbreak, so it comes full circle.  Now I can write a novel.  Fantastic.


7.  Get Published
At this point, I would be putting the cart before the horse if I gave myself a check mark on this one.  Although, I have had an article published... but it was a legal article, so I'll take a half check here.


8.  Find an Agent
I picture this one going very much like Jerry Macguire, where I am, of course, Rod Tidwell.


9.  Be a Smart Consumer
Hmm... If there were negative check marks, I would get one.


10.  Read
This is an interesting one for me.  I think Jennifer is absolutely right on here.  The more I'm reading, the harder it is for me to shut down the characters that constantly jump in my mind.  When I'm reading, I find myself almost narrating my own life (and no, not like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swJmB-AqhOI).



 In sum, I would say it's about 50-50 check marks to no check marks.  I'm pretty much relying on those huge check marks for doggy-discipline, heartbreak, and having a job that gives me some decent fodder.  And let's be honest, if my lack of check marks outweighs my awarded check marks, I didn't really like Jennifer's books anyway ;)


Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment