Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ladycation

Get ready for a barrage of blog posts.  I started about 15 posts over the last 2 weeks... some of which I simply could not post (for timing reasons which will become obvious in the next few posts) and some of which I really just haven't had time to perfect.

I am going a little out of sequence by posting about vacation before posting about THE BIG NEWS, but I really need a little more time to appropriately develop my amazing announcement (that, and there's a part of me that loves the suspense of it all).

So, without further ado... straight from the beaches of Playa del Carmen, I bring you:  Ladycation

(The scene: Sitting at the table in our FABULOUS one bedroom condo, with full kitchen and a private infinity pool on the balcony.  Attire: Uniform for the week- swim suit, cover up, straw hat, smile).

I thought I would be writing everyday.  I really thought I would be chomping at the bit ("Whhhhoooooaaaaa Poncho") to get in front of my computer and spew all of the thoughts that have been going through my mind for the last month, the decisions I’ve made in that time, the way my life has significantly changed and how that came to fruition mere hours before we left for Mexico.   Interestingly, however, it’s our last full day in paradise (and it is seriously paradise here)... and I have just opened my computer to throw down a few thoughts before we leave for an afternoon on the beach in Playa.  Despite the many blog posts that I’ve started in the last few weeks about my decision to get out of the practice of law, I’m not going to write about that today.  Instead, today’s topic is “ladycation” and all its glory.

We met a group of girls from Jersey (and no, not the “G-T-L” Jersey Shore types).  These ladies were AWESOME.  Very similar to us - from the marathon running to the relationship struggles... It makes me wish there were a "lady" phrase equivalent to "brothas from anotha motha."  Theses girls coined the name “ladycation” and showed up to Mexico with their matching, polka dot can-coozies, with each lady's initials embroidered in pink.  It was impressive.  We took their phrase and made it ours.

Ladycation – where ladies and vacation come together, and we had an absolute BLAST.  Like a legendary blast.  And I’m proud of us.  You take three girls who are great friends but have different vacation philosophies and then add sun and alcohol, and in all honesty, there was every potential for disaster.  I would bet that this is how a lot of really great friendships among girls undoubtedly meet their demise.  Fortunately, our trip was exactly the opposite... and I had more fun than I’ve had in a really, really long time.  Holy moley, I laughed harder than I've laughed all year.  And I maybe even have a "tan" (those, of course, being necessary quotation marks) to boot.   

So cheers to ladycation and all the incredible people we met along the way.  And because I can't get through a blog post without referring to law...  To all those attorneys out there who think everything will fall apart if you take a vacation:  It might.  But even if it does, I promise you, it'd be worth it.


Hasta luego amigos!

2 comments:

  1. I always wished that too, so I made one up long ago....sista from anotha mista...enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete