Monday, April 4, 2011

sh*t my dad says

So there's this guy whose dad is notorious for not having a filter.  The guy starting tweeting about it, leading to a blog about it, and then a book... and now, from what I hear, a TV show?  Anyway, it's called Sh*t My Dad Says, and it's pretty hilarious (the Sh*t, not the TV show).

I use this only by way of analogy to introduce pearls of wisdom my own father has imparted on me over the years, which have been particularly apropos in recent months.  While nowhere near as vulgar as the "Sh*t" that other guy's dad says, and with more of an inspirational intention than anything else, my Dad's brilliant sayings are printed out and taped above my computer as a constant reminder that life isn't always fair and there's nothing you can do about it but work your butt off.

This first saying my Dad has had engraved on a plaque and sitting on his desk for about as long as I can remember.  Since about the time I learned to read, I began pondering the following quote and trying to understand it.  Then I remember learning who Richard Nixon was and what he did... and instantly understanding the irony of the oh-so-true quote that sits on my Dad's desk:

I know you believe you understand what you think I said.  However, I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.  
 - Richard Nixon

You might think that as a lawyer, I have had plenty of opportunities to apply this saying to my everyday practice.  Those who don't know me, or those who have a cliche misconception of the practice of law, probably picture me in a courtroom, wagging my finger at the judge and telling him his business.  Au contraire.  BUT... after a recent HUGE misunderstanding (of Watergate proportions) with one of my best friends... I think I finally understood how Nixon felt.

Saying number two is one of my Dad's favorite sign-offs following a conversation about my frustrations with [fill in the blank...clients, work, loans, etc.].  He poached it from one of his favorite "talking heads," and as much as I despise sports radio and baseball analogies, I do love this saying: 

Swing hard in case you hit it.  -Steve "The Homer" True

The third saying is from Calvin Coolidge... and two things strike me as I write this:  (1) my Dad has a knack for quoting mediocre, and somewhat controversial, US Presidents and (2) those mediocre, controversial Presidents almost appear wise... or, if nothing else, creative:

Press on.  Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.  Talent will not.  Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.  Genius will not.  Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.  Education alone will not.  The world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.  -Calvin Coolidge

It's true, and it makes me smile.  As this week begins, I have a number of coffees and lunches scheduled with third year law students who I met at an alumni/student breakfast a couple weeks back.  Despite the many prominent attorneys present at the event, a number of the students waited in line to talk to me... A second year associate who showed up to the breakfast in jeans and felt zero shame amidst the suits.  Why me?  They wanted to know about debt and how in the world they should begin to think about paying it back.  In a way, it's sad that curiosity about the legal profession and the pursuit to find the best fit job is trumped by "what do I have to do to pay back my loans?"  I don't really have much to offer in the way of solutions.  Because let's be honest, if I had a solution, I probably wouldn't be writing this blog. 

If nothing else, I hope I can give them some peace of mind as they enter their legal careers.  As a couple of friends recently joked, however, sometimes I confuse "peace of mind" with a "piece of (my) mind."  To be perfectly honest... yes, of course there will be some of that mixed in there, but if nothing else, I hope to impart on them that it's a marathon, not a sprint, and there is absolutely NOTHING they can do about it but work hard and let the pieces fall as they may... To swing hard in case they hit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment