Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Esch, timing is everything.

So my tongue-in-cheek post yesterday about how Wisconsinites resort to guns to deal with tough times really (REALLY) came back to haunt me this morning when I heard the news story about the school hostage situation at a high school in Marinette, Wisconsin (near Green Bay, for reference).    The sophomore, who was apparently well-liked and had a number of friends, held a classroom full of kids and a teacher, who had been watching a movie in class, hostage at gunpoint for over 5 hours.  He shot the movie projector, a concept which all of a sudden doesn't seem so funny today.  He let many of the kids go before turning the gun on himself, and he is now in critical condition.  Read the full story here

In light of this recent news, I considered taking down yesterday's post.  I figured I had posted it late enough that not many people had read it yet, and maybe I could save some face by pretending I never made the comments that I did.  Now obviously, a guy shooting his TV because he doesn't like the way Sarah Palin's daughter dances is a lot funnier than a school shooting.  But there was more to the TV shooter story that I conveniently left out.  The guy pointed the gun at his wife.  Ugh. 

I'm not proud of my post yesterday after all.  In a vacuum, a guy shooting his TV or his lawn mower, or even a movie projector is funny... but when the "real life" aspect of it all gets thrown in the mix, it really is just sad.

I apologize to my readers and to the citizens of my home state for being so callous.

No comments:

Post a Comment