Monday, November 1, 2010

Freddy Klaus (claws?)


You know when you have a mind-block about something, and no matter how many mnemonic devices you use, you always hesitate before saying it in case you're really supposed to be saying the other thing?  I have that with the movies Nightmare on Elm Street and Miracle on 34th Street.  They couldn't be more opposite.  I saw Nightmare on Elm Street last night (yes, on Halloween - very cliche, I know.)  Today at work, when asked how my Halloween was, I responded, "Great! We made chili and watched Miracle on Elm Street."  What?!?  I even THOUGHT about it before answering too!

I had never seen the classic Halloween horror film and quickly realized that I didn't actually know the story of Freddy Krueger.  After watching the movie, it became apparent, and kind of ironic, just how polar (yes, pun intended) opposite the two fictional characters are.  Sure, they both show up while you're sleeping... Ok, and I suppose technically they both love children, but that's where it ends.  With Santa, the dreams are those of sugar plum fairies dancing in your head.  With Freddy... well, it's a bit different.  Even I had nightmares.  I never have nightmares.  My mom always used to say that I had African Sleeping Sickness, which I only recently learned is a real disease, but I always thought it meant you could sleep through anything. 

Anyway, I could understand if I had a permanent mind-block about Freddy Krueger and maybe Edward Scissorhands.  Totally understandable.  But Miracle on 34th Street?  "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" versus "One, two, Freddy's coming for you."  Sometimes I really do amaze myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment