Thursday, February 17, 2011

desperate times = desperate measures

WARNING: adult content alluded to.

I am blown away (and in all honesty, that was written with no pun of any kind intended).  I have struggled with how to "delicately" review one of the latest postings on Above The Law.  It's so egregious, I can't even bring myself to link to it.  I'm sure those interested in it can probably track it down.  It even comes with a warning.  When ATL has a warning/disclaimer, you know the following content will be OFFENSIVE.  And it was everything they promised it would be (and a bit more).  ATL's disclaimer reads:  " If your sensibilities are delicate or you don’t like crudeness, please stop reading here."  Part of me wishes I had stopped reading.  The other part of me fully appreciates that a disclaimer like that only makes the audience want to read what comes next that much more...

On the one hand, there is no way I can criticize a recent law grad, from a top-tier law school who has passed the California Bar and can't find a job, who opts to "vent" and demonstrate his desperation via the Internet.  Obviously, I am a proponent of blogging as a means to deal with the overwhelming post-law school market and the outrageous debt.  I'm for it.  Even if there weren't such a thing as freedom of speech.  And I hate First Amendment analyses and had more than enough of that on my Bar Exam, so I'll spare you.  Suffice it to say, this guy has a right to express his "disdain" for the current state of affairs in (basically) whatever way he would like.

On the other hand... REALLY?!?!?

I don't mean to be cryptic.  It's just that I can't even bring myself to summarize this guy's "expression."  I will attempt to describe the situation as politely as possible...

A San Francisco man who recently graduated from a top-tier law school is angry about the current state of the legal economy and his inability to find a job despite his impressive credentials (and I am ONLY referring to his legal credentials).  He posted a Craigslist offer to perform certain services in exchange for a job with a law firm.  Essentially, trading one position for another, if you will.  In an effort to "persuade" his way into a legal job, he also listed other certain credentials.  Above The Law then provided a number of links to lawyers who might be willing to work out a "trade" with this unemployed lawyer.

I'm sure at this point, those who are interested have already sought out the ATL posting.  I think the takeaway here is that for some reason, people are still flocking to law school in droves.  Despite the warnings, despite the articles, despite our desperate pleadings to the contrary, people are STILL taking out the debt and going to law school.

That kind of debt, with the bleak prospects of today's economy, forces people to do crazy things.  For example, new lawyers are willing to risk their integrity and a career they don't even have yet to... I suppose at best, make a point, and at worst, apply for a job.

Either way, it's not pretty out there people.  But clearly you don't have to take it from me...

No comments:

Post a Comment