Thursday, February 3, 2011

the real lawyer: day one.

I am officially in my first solo deposition.  No, I'm not taking or defending (please, I'm still a baby), but I'm here, taking notes and keeping my ears perked for a few specific words.  When I hear those words, I have been instructed to take copious notes.  I has been over an hour, and I have not yet heard one of my key words, still I find myself (although specifically instructed to the contrary) taking notes just for the sake of taking notes.  This probably doesn't surprise those who know me.

I was warned that this ("this" of course being agonizing boredom) would happen (hence sending the rookie) and was advised to bring some form of laptop entertainment.  So here I am... happily providing a little recap and commentary of my time here...

Highlights
- It feels like law school.  Everyone knows each other and there's a fair amount of funny gossip going on (and, if you sit in the back like me, you can see all the people not paying attention and surfing the internet.).  But with no exam graded on a bell curve at the end.
- Free snacks.
- Billable hours.
- Free snacks.
- One of the older attorney's cell phone's going off with the new Black Eyed Peas song for a ring tone.  Fantastic.
- When you sneeze, everyone says "bless you" just to break up the monotony. 

Not-So-Highlights
- The one lawyer chewing tobacco at the depo table and using his Starbucks cup as a spittoon. 
- The awkward laugh by the deposition-taker... when none of the other 18 people in the room even crack a smile.
- 4 hours, and the mention of "my word"... twice.
- Reading Hyperbole and a Half without causing a scene is next to impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment