Tuesday, February 15, 2011

everything can change... in a minute

"Oooone minute.  Juuuuuusssssssssst a minute."  (This is a high school soccer throwback with a very small target audience).

My mom has been obsessed with the idea of me going on Minute To Win It.  She has been on my case about "trying out" for about a year now.  Well guess what... there's an open casting call in Denver next week, and I might just have to make an appearance.

From what I hear, your "story" is half the battle.  They ask you what you're going to do with the money if you win.  My answer would be simple.  I would invest it in a way that would allow me to pay off my loans over time (as much as I would love to wipe that slate clean, there really is no sense in paying them off in one big check).  Of course, I am going to come up with a "catchier" way of saying that... hopefully one that also emphasizes my novel (which is moving along at a snail's pace) and my desire to volunteer in a Spanish-speaking country (why don't they have lawyers without borders?).  Clearly, I need a PR person.

Now from my estimation, the amount of money to be won ranges from $150,000 to $1,000,000.  Which, don't get me wrong, probably isn't enough to buy a yacht and run off to Anguilla... never be seen again.  But it is enough to pay the monkey to get off  my back.  The prospect of that makes me a little (ok a lot) giddy inside.  Maybe even giddier than spending the rest of my life in a beach town in some exotic location.

Do I realize I have totally gotten ahead of myself?  Absolutely.  Do I understand that the likelihood of me being chosen from a screaming crowd of Denverites is probably slim to none?  Of course.  But did I have a dream the other night that only 4 other people showed up to the audition and 3 of them lacked basic motor skills, and the I beat the fourth one in a beer pong game and was chosen to go on the show...and woke up the next morning thrilled beyond belief?  Yes indeed.  Could it happen?  I suppose.


Like I said awhile back... I don't necessarily buy lottery tickets because I think I'm going to win  (I think I DESERVE to win, but I don't really think I'm going to win - there's a difference).  I buy lottery tickets because the 5 minutes it takes me to walk down to the 7-Eleven and wait in line and go back up to my office with a chance at millions of dollars, are the most financially stress-free minutes of my life.  To know that it would all be taken care of, and I wouldn't have to worry ever again about paying back Uncle Sam... and Aunt Sallie and Cousin Fargo... It's freeing. 


These days leading up to this open casting call are like one prolonged walk to buy a Powerball ticket.  I'm strangely at ease.  The peace of mind that comes from hope never ceases to amaze me.  Besides, based on my beer pong skills, I know all I have to do is make it through the casting call and the million dollars is pretty much mine.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nickie! I happened upon your blog a while back, via facebook, very fun! I appreciate the Mr. Dixon reference... good luck trying out for Minute to Win It--winning that could be a pretty sweet thing to tell everyone about at the HHS reunion? :)

    ReplyDelete