Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Are you going to Harvard? Do you have a time machine?

A huge thank you to Leah for sending this my way.

I had this conversation before and during law school, and somehow, I always thought I would be different. We all thought we were going to be different. That somehow we'll work harder than everyone else, or we'll be one of the two lucky people who actually lands the six figure, big firm job right out of law school (and LOVES the billable hour requirement) and pays off all her debt in five years, then becomes partner at the firm within seven years, buys a BMW and/or Mercedes to get to and from her gorgeous, penthouse loft downtown to the office, who works for a couple more years at a job she adores before buying a house in the mountains where she tele-works Fridays and Mondays, all the while helping people who can't help themselves and investing big fat paychecks to not only pay for her own luxurious retirement, but also the luxurious retirement of her parents. Oh, and that yacht.

This video is hilarious... and if we can't laugh at ourselves, then there really is very little left to do about the situation. Even desperately trying to save others from making the same mistake doesn't make my decision any better. And, they never listen anyway. I can't say there has been one person that I've successfully talked out of going to law school. So while class sizes increase, tuition steadily rises and law schools make money hand over fist... student loan debt is skyrocketing and salaries are plummeting. The legal market is beyond saturated, and the economy isn't lending itself to litigiousness. People can barely afford to go out to eat anymore, much less pay a lawyer to help them sue their neighbor over the rights to Blackacre.

1 comment:

  1. "I do not like my blackberry." Quite possibly my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete