Saturday, October 2, 2010

FOMO

FOMO = “Fear Of Missing Out” (credit:  Yoni Mekuria)

My plan has recently become to forego buying a ski pass this year and use that time to work on the book.  It really is the perfect plan:  I don’t like things I’m not good at, and skiing is certainly one of those things.  For the last three years, I have tried (really, really tried) to get into skiing, but it’s not for me. Actually, I have always wanted to make T-shirts and bumper stickers that said “I ski for après” because I do.  I ski for as long as I have to ski to be able to justify spending the rest of the afternoon and evening in the hot tub drinking beer and eating expensive cheese (because that’s what you do in the mountains).  I don’t actually enjoy skiing.  I am just a little risk averse (ha), and skiing is not my passion.  Sorry “brah.”  And then you throw in that a ski pass is going to cost me at least $700 and I haven’t won the lottery yet… I just don’t think I can do it.  I am perfectly happy snowshoeing for a couple hours in the morning (to justify that beer and expensive cheese of course), and then writing for the rest of the day.  Or so I thought.

Last night we came up to the mountains to stay at a friend's parents' amazing house in Edwards for his birthday weekend.  Within the first 15 minutes of arriving, all anyone could talk about was ski season.  Seasons gone by and the season to come... and for a minute, I worried about breaking the news to my skiing buddies and considered bailing on this whole book thing.  I could be a sheep - spend the winter "skiing" (yes, those are necessary quotation marks, as opposed to "unnecessary quotation marks", because I am THAT bad at skiing) because that's what athletic people do in the winter in Colorado.

But really, THIS is what I want to do.  I want to write a book a whole lot more than I want to be a good skier.  I want it to be winter so I can write... and really, what an awesome environment to write in...[blogger won't upload my photos of the aspens turning out the window... bummer.  Trust me, they're beautiful].

Going to bike Vail Pass!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment