Friday, October 1, 2010

i see a theme.

I'm doing a little housekeeping by finishing the blogs I had started over the last couple weeks and, for whatever reason, didn't finish.  I'm struck by how funny this one is given the "dolla dolla bills ya'll" post (started a week or so ago and also finished today... can you tell it's Friday afternoon?).

The original title for this post was "Sunday afternoon sesh," and I had planned on writing about how easily the characters were developing themselves.  Instead, I wrote about the lottery:

Sunday Afternoon Sesh
"... I just sat down to (finally) write for the weekend... and the first thing I did was check the clock, because that's what we lawyers do before we begin working on project.  Maybe for comparison's sake, I should keep track of the time I spend writing a book.  That way I can do an actual cost-benefit analysis when the time actually (hopefully) comes to transition from being a lawyer into being a writer.

So, I didn't win the Powerball last night.  I've only recently started playing the lottery.  That's how I know I need a change in my life.  I'm playing the lottery.  Regularly.  And what's worse... I can't check the winning numbers without having a couple glasses of wine first.  Now, I'm a very rational, reasonable person.  I know the odds.  I know I'm probably not going to win.  (What's funny here is that I originally wrote "I know I'm not going to win,"  but then I deleted that, and added "probably.")  But for some reason, when it comes to actually checking the winning numbers, there's a part of me that allows myself to be convinced that I won.  You know why?  Because something's gotta give.  So it might as well be winning the lottery.  Right?  Well, I didn't win.  But I did get two of the numbers, which was enough to make my heart stop momentarily and also ensure that I buy two tickets again next week."

No comments:

Post a Comment