Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Docket

Today, I joined The Docket Committee - the group of lawyers who publish the monthly newsletter, The Docket.  It's by lawyers, for lawyers.  Most notorious for their April Fools editions (specifically, the mandatory marijuana testing from last year: State Mandates Drug Testing for Attorneys), The Docket provides a much-needed outlet from the stifling monotony and/or overwhelming stress of the every day job.  In preparation for my new "hobby," I began reading articles from years past.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Babel Fish Saves El Dia
For those who know me, it's obvious why I laughed out loud (not to be confused with "LOL," but really, truly laughed. out. loud.) at this article.  After a summer in Argentina as a foreign summer associate (translation: American intern), I more than understand the necessity AND danger of babelfish and its counterparts in translating law.  In fact, another intern and I turned in a project we had worked on all summer: a 200 page guide to microfinance lending, targeted to Argentine microfinance institutions (think Grameen Bank) to assist them in soliciting fund from United States investors (it's a mouthful, right...) Basically, we wrote about the benefits of obtaining non-profit (501c3) status in the U.S.  But that's not the story.  The story is that we busted our butts (ok not really... We slacked off all summer, only working 4 days a week, traveling all over South America, and generally taking advantage of the 3:1 ratio of Argentine Peso : US Dollar, typically at bars, restaurants and shoe stores all over town) to get this report done, staying very late on our last night of work (before each of us left the following morning on our respective vacations:  me to Peru, Caitlin to Ushuia and Tierra del Fuego), and left the extensive report on the Partner's desk and having the taxi take us directly to our favorite restaurant for much needed wine and sushi.  However, we only produced the report in English.  We figured we had a couple days when we got back to "translate it" into Spanish... I mean, how hard could it be?  We had be "translating" documents all summer...

Suffice it to say, our translations turned out pretty similar to the babelfish translations and our supervising partner was not pleased.  I still feel guilty for how much work we created for the friends we left at the end of the summer, the not-so-foreign summer associates who spent over three months fixing out monstrosity.

Who Is Your Favorite Kid Lawyer
I love this article.  Not only did the article's author write a novel himself (clearly my dream), but he covered other books with exceptional plot ideas.  I'm left feeling overwhelmed again by those who have gone before me...  This article and the story descriptions solidify that I need to incorporate law into my book.  Stay tuned for that.

Brazilian What?...
Mostly the title and general subject matter of this article got me.  I can certainly appreciate the so-called "feminine struggle:" whether it's with jiu jitsu (the comparison of martial arts to the study of law was especially humorous to me, although I'm not sure that was intent.  Is "yoga" a martial art??), being an attorney in a male-dominated profession (or conversely, having your superiors be extremely insecure female attorneys who have battled the male-dominated profession and, in my opinion, lost), or well... the Brazilian myth (what TMI??).  But recently, I had a female partner come into my office and matter-of-factly state: "We need to do something about your work attire."  My jaw hit the floor.  This only happens in movies... right?  Wrong.  It was perhaps the most cliche conversation I have ever been subjected to: "We want people to respect you for your intelligence.  It really isn't a good idea to wear sleeveless shirts and you stay away from skirts." And on, and on and on.  Yes, I'm serious.

Anyway, guess what my first article assignment is??  Lawyers Who Blog.  Again, I'm serious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment