Friday, October 22, 2010

Tyler Durden:  I see all this potential, and I see squandering ... An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off. 

Fight Club is a phenomenal movieThe truth of Tyler Durden's words (he has one of those names that you have to use both his first and last name.  Simply "Tyler" wouldn't do him justice, and "Durden" or worse, "Mr. Durden" just sounds weird), is something our generation knows, or at least is learning, first hand.  We were brought up to believe that if we worked hard, we could be millionaires.  I, for one, can admit that I have an entitlement problem.  I've worked hard, and now I want a million dollars.  Not only do I want a million dollars, but I think I deserve a million dollars.  And chances are, I'm not alone.  I have no doubt that my parents' generation, or my grandparents' generation, would say one of two things (depending on which generation member we're talking about) to me:  (1) You CAN have a million dollars, you just have to be patient, or (2) You know, money isn't everything.  I don't like either of those responses, as correct as each of them might be.

I often feel like Varuca.  Her name is Latin for "wart."  Esch.  Point made, Roald Dahl.

No comments:

Post a Comment