Friday, October 1, 2010

patience is a virtue...that I don't have.

I am not a patient person.  Generally, when I decide to do something, I want it done yesterday.  As a result of being impatient, I am sometimes also impulsive (see my 3-year-old chocolate lab --> who was purchased as an 8 week old puppy following a nasty break-up).   I have recognized that my impatience is both a blessing (see same dog), but also a curse.  It motivates me to get things done, while also allowing me to procrastinate because I know that once I put my mind to doing something, it'll get done.  I've always said that if I could see a snapshot of my future self and know that everything works out, I could be a lot more patient.

This endeavor is no different.  I've had to visit a couple bookstores recently looking for my book club book... and I've found myself  both totally inspired and completely intimidated by the quantity and quality of books out there. Inspiration combined with intimidation is a powerful force.  I just want to know how my book turns out before I take all this time to write it.  Is that so bad?  I mean, what if it sucks?  What if it's really terrible... and everyone reads it because they have to, and then they tell me it's great (because they have to)... but really, it sucks?  Then what?  So I ask this:  Please people, if my first book sucks, please, please don't let me write a second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment